Scrap Car Battery Recycling
We at Barberton Junk Cars strive to do much more than pay money for a junk car or salvage car. We provide the latest news and information several times per month concerning topics of interest t the scrap vehicle buyer and auto recycler. Car buyers in the US and beyond face continuous challenges in the salvage car market. As a scrap vehicle buyer, we know all too well that the money for a junk car that is generated has decreased due to falling steel prices. We buy junk cars 6 days a week and are among the many who scraps cars in the Northeast Ohio market.
A January 8, 2016 article by Ben Messenger on waste-management-world.com titled ‘Electric Vehicle Battery Recycling to Surge’ discussed the following: “A new report outlining best practices to recapture and recycle the materials used in electric-drive vehicle (EDV) batteries once they reach end-of-life has been published by the Commission for Environmental Cooperation (CEC). According to the CEC, an organization intended to protect the environment, the market in North America for electric-drive vehicles has surged over the last 10 years and the supply of end-of-life batteries for EDVs is expected to continue to increase.
The report says that this represents a vital opportunity to recapture & recycle the materials used in EDV batteries, such as nickel, cobalt, and steel. The study, a partnership between Canada, Mexico and the US examines how EDV batteries are currently managed at end-of-life across the US protect health & the environment. The report is named ‘Environmentally Sound Management of EDV batteries in North America’ and warned that changes to using less costly materials in the batteries need to be assessed to ensure the continuing environmentally sound management at end-of-life.
- It is projected that about 276,000 EDV batteries will reach EOL in North America in 2015
- Most of these batteries are likely to be nickel metal hydride (NiMH), the primay battery chemistry used.
- By 2030, almost 1.5 million EDV batteries will reach EOL. By that time, close to half the EOL EDV batteries will be lithium-based, with the remainder being NiMH batteries
- Manufacturers like Toyota & Honda are starting reverse supply chains to ensure the batteries are recovered & recycled
- The recycling/processing structure for EDV batteries is in its infancy, but large players are in the market and plotting for future expansion. The complete story is available at this link.
Those of us who scraps cars have likely not begun to receive these electric battery powered vehicles into the salvage car market yet. Car buyers should expect to begin encountering them in the next couple of years. As a scrap vehicle buyer, we wait in anticipation to see what the aftermarket options and value for these will be.
We buy junk cars in Summit, Medina and Portage Counties. Those looking to get money for a junk car should contact our scrap vehicle buyer at (330)732-JUNK. As car buyers in Northeast Ohio for several years now we know that sellers of cash for cars vehicles want fast pickup and payments in cash, rather than a check. BJC is the best option available and we hope to see you soon.